Welcome to the home page for the West Valley Naturalists, a loose association of folks from all walks of life who are interested in the natural environment, geography, history, and agriculture of the West Valley area of Kalispell, Montana.
Our group began in 2010 as a spinoff from a “More Kids in the Woods” grant written by Teresa Wenum at USFS and administered by Flathead Audubon. The resulting Native Plant Garden at West Valley School inspired community members to learn more about the surrounding natural community. In non-pandemic times, we hold programs at the school and occasional field trips in the summer.
The purpose of West Valley Naturalists is to foster interest and share information among many generations about our local natural community: geology, archeology, plants, animals, natural resources, history, agriculture, and art centered on nature.
What Can I Do Here?
- Read about the natural environment, history, geography, and agriculture of West Valley by selecting a topic from the Journals menu under the photo or the Journal Tags menu on the right sidebar.
- Join the discussion! Leave some comments or questions on any Journal topic (no need to register), or head to the Forums page to participate in a variety of topics (registration required).
- Help us identify these mystery flora and fauna. Select ID Me under the Journals menu or click here.
- We send a monthly email newsletter regarding events and programs relevant to our mission. Join our mailing list.
- Become a Journal author. (You’ll need to follow our guidelines.) Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.